Stan Van Gundy Rockets next head coach?

Home Forums Locker Room Basketball Chat Stan Van Gundy Rockets next head coach?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by alcsd alcsd 4 years ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    alcsd
    alcsd

A coach with a brain will make these two the best backcourt tandem, but the question remains, does Harden want to share the spotlight with Lin?  And I think the answer is “no.” Lin has to make the best of the situation while improving his skills in a toxic environment.

The Spurs treat players like humans. Tim Duncan, the leader of the Spurs sets the tone of unselfishness and teamwork and the rest follows.  What tone has Harden set to the players?

alcsd
    alcsd

I glossed over the latest thread over there to get what they were saying.

alcsd
    alcsd

Reasons why I think Morey will trade Lin asap:

1. his salary is 5/15 for the next two years, it’s prorated on the date the trade is executed.  If Lin is traded next Feb, the other team will only get Lin cheap for less than a season.  Next year they would have to pay him $15m, it’s harder for owner to swallow. Getting Lin at the beginning of the season, the new owner/GM can reason that they are getting Lin cheap this year and are willing to pay more next year.

2. PG is the hardest position to learn under a new system.  Teams without a PG (or shaky/injured PG/old PG) would want to trade for a starting PG asap.  It’s not like a SG, where the player can go in and pick it up quickly.  No sure if the Bucks are interested in Lin.  I think Morey was asking the Hawks for a 1st and Hawks declined.

3. Morey doesn’t see Lin as part of the future, trading him now is a lot easier than next year where he is scheduled to earn $15m and to get rid of the distraction. He will trade Lin to get pick or picks in return or he will package it for Asik to get PF.  Or he might trade to get back friendly or expiring contract(s).  The whole goal is to have flexibility.

4. The following year is an expiring contract for Lin.  Teams without much flexibility in cap room and is in need of a PG and likes him will trade for Lin because his Bird Rights is transferable via trade. They can go over the cap to  sign him to a new contract.

I just don’t see Lin staying pass this year.  All the neon signs I see Rockets put out there are very telling.

etane
    etane

Regarding informing the site over there, I am not sure they want to learn haha.  The site calmed down quite a bit during the last few weeks.  But, the Taiwan game euphoria took over and has since become a mob mentality over there.  I am glad all the conversations are on the internet and hate to be tarred and feathered by the “locals”.  What you said about the trade deadline stuff is new to me.  Heck, a lot of NBA stuff is new to me.  I never paid attention to NBA until… well.. never haha.  It’s kind of weird that I started a sorta basketball blog when I’ve never been a basketball fan at any point in my life.  I like playing it but never liked watching it much other than supporting my home town GSWs.

You know I think Harden will be easy to manage.  Unliek Kobe or Carmelo who has balls and pride, Harden has none of those.  He will fall into line if the coach puts his foot down.  He might do something behind the coach’s back but wouldn’t do anything confrontational like a Kobe or Melo.  In Houston, McHell and Morey simply wants Harden to do his thing because his game is great statistically with his high number of free throws and 3pters.  He is simply their prototypical player.

Now what do you think Morey will wanna do if the Howard acquisition turns out to be a bust?  Will Morey more likely trade Lin or keep him?  So far Howard looks like the worst player on the roster.  He got out played by Hibbert in both games.  And, he was hogging the ball down low thinking he can handle 4 defenders on him but gets blocked each time except once.  Parsons has more agility attacking the rim than he does.  Well, Howard supposedly has an injured hamstring.  But, if true, why doesn’t he rest it instead of risking aggravation playing useless preseason games.

So, back to the Lin euphoria.  His 17/4 is simply par for course.  Why are the Houston Rockets making such a big deal out of it?  It’s actually below his game averages if you only count games he didn’t have to share the ball with ball hogs.  Might be a ploy to puff Lin’s trade value up?  What’s more, immediately before the Taiwan game, Houston media seemed to be trying to condition Houston fans into accepting Lin to be back up PG saying how he can ignite the second team’s offense, how he fits better, should all accept their roles bla bla.  Yah, does seem like a lot of effort is put into framing Lin one way or another this season.  Their PR is working over time. Somethign is going down?

alcsd
    alcsd

Like I said I haven’t followed news lately so I am out of the loop about the NBA in general.  That is why I have been delaying in what I think about the Lakers and Lin. Lakers gave away 2 first rounders, 2 second founders, and $3M to the Suns to sign Nash last season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/sam_amick/07/04/steve-nash-trade-phoenix-suns-los-angeles-lakers/index.html

1st 1st rounder was used by the Sun this past draft.  That means this year the Lakers have their own draft pick at the end of this season. If they tank, they will get a lotto pick, which can be good especially if there is a particular player they want for next year’s draft.  But we are talking about the “Lakers” and not a small market team where they can tank for a year…two years….or three years in order to get lotto players (like the Thunder did with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden). The financial ramification to the team and to the NBA is too great.

alcsd
    alcsd

The fans over at realgm knicks forum really know the CBA and also understand the ins and outs of the NBA really well.

alcsd
    alcsd

I just read your detailed analysis on preseason game 2, I didn’t know you are a stats/numbers guy.  You never mentioned it at all on the site. I guess I have to join the  fraternity:evil: after all and  sign up for an account  so I can post my comments. I only watched his highlights on youtube.  I didn’t watch this game either and I am not sure I can bring myself to watch until he is traded or Mc is gone. I think indirectly people were excited that his 3s are looking good.  I think that is the reason why they were all excited. I must say I am excited about his 3s too. If he can hit those 3s around 38%-40%, then his next contract will be a really good and teams will be lining up for his service.

I read it during linsansity in Realgm forum that Lin’s Iso stats was in the top 5 (behind Harden, Lebron, CP3).  I don’t remember if it the data compiled in the 4th quarter only or during that stretch. Since then, I’ve tried to find data on it, but can’t find it anywhere. Is there anyway you can find it or do some on calculation on it during that time? What I am trying to get at is, not only do they have a PG who can iso, but ios at a very high level.

All I know back surgery is a major concern especially for a big man. He had it when he was 27 and not when he was in his late teens or early 20s. I don’t know what the future holds for Howard and although I do wish karma will catch up with Morey, but I don’t want it at the expense of Howard.  He is a decent guy.

The fact that he didn’t play this game and went home.  That is very uncharacteristic of him.  Unless he came down with something really bad, this makes me go hmmm.

etane
    etane

Gosh I got a lot to catch up on!  Been really busy with work and trying to finish the Taipei game post (not done yet).  That post is a lot longer than I anticipated and have to break it up into 3 separate posts probably for the content to make sense and allow readers to digest it in smaller morsels.

I don’t think Kobe is a tiger.  I am born in the year of the tiger and think I am very tiger in that I show leadership but also tend to move against prevalent thoughts due to thinking before acting.  I don’t see Kobe as someone as not calculating as a tiger.  So, Kobe probably more resembles a chimera.

I think we agree on who the bear and snake are.  Not sure I think Lin is a whale.  I think his personality is more multi-faceted than he seem to me.  A part of me thinks he is allowing his persona to take him as far as it will take him.  The stories about him loving video games is probably true but also a bit too over done.  I am sure 80% of NBA players love their video games but Jeremy seems to be the only one parading it.  Seems to be he tries hard to come across as a simpleton which goes along with his naive/harmless persona.  Think there’s more to him than just that.  Think he’s mostly a horse but also has some rabbit/monkey in him.

I am not a basketball stats guy so don’t know where to start with ISO stats.  I mean I am not aware of any data collected that can be used to interpret how effective one is at isolation plays.  Actually, I’ve been avoiding basketball stats for as long as I could but the plus/minus during the past few games just drove me nuts. = P

Regarding Howard, I am no longer looking forwards to see Lin connect with Howard.  It seems like Lin has to work extra hard to make Howard look good.  If that’s the case, I rather Lin play with Asik.  At least they got it going on towards the last 25% of last season.  Howard, on the other hand, is on the decline as you mentioned about his back surgery.  Howard’s main asset now is drawing the defense away from shooters.  But, I have not seen Howard is capable of drawing the defense away from penetrators in fact he might just be clogging the lanes.

There was one play yesterday where ALL 5 of Orlando’s defenders were in the paint trying to stop Dwight.  Dwight ended up getting fouled.  He doesn’t know when to throw the ball back out under pressure.  DH might become just as infuriating to watch as iso harden.

alcsd
    alcsd

Chimera…? say what..? I’ve never heard of this creature.. until now….thanks to you and Wikipedia.

alcsd
    alcsd

Can’t help it. Continue with in the jungle analogy…

Howard-the lion from the Wizard of OZ. His pretend tough act doesn’t fool me at all.

Mc-wicked witch of the east

Finch-Dorthy…or maybe the good witch

I am just being mean here

etane
    etane

mc is too dumb to be a witch.  he’s more like one of those henchmen with wings.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.