Stan Van Gundy Rockets next head coach?

Home Forums Locker Room Basketball Chat Stan Van Gundy Rockets next head coach?

This topic contains 25 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by alcsd alcsd 4 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    alcsd
    alcsd

Stan was Howard’s coach during his days with the Magic and they had their differences. Stan publicly stated that management/owner  told him (privately) that Howard wanted him gone. But what is interesting in this article below is that Stan recommended him to sign with the Rockets during free agency. Stan didn’t hold a grudge against Howard.

Jeff never held a grudge against Morey and Les.  I guess the Van Grundy brothers are very adult or maybe they saw it as just business so no hard feelings.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/230066/Dwight-Howard-Stan-Van-Gundy-Suggested-To-Sign-With-Rockets

• This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by alcsd alcsd.
    • This topic was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by alcsd alcsd.
    etane
    etane

It seems like Stan has been blackballed by the NBA.

Also, Stan thought Lin is the most overrated player in the NBA.

This is not to say he doesn’t have a high opinion of Lin as a player just no deserving of placing third in all-star voting for guards last year at least not at this point in his career especially considering Lin’s first half performance was below expectations.

Also there was some controversy over how Morey fired Jeff.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by etane etane.
    alcsd
    alcsd

The Van Gundy brothers are very blunt and honest.

The brothers do talk to each a lot because they both feel he was overrated during Linsanity.  Jeff mentioned during Linsanity that he thought Lin was overrated, but now feel he is underrated.  Not sure if I got from Q&A , TV or radio, but he mentioned it this past summer.

I remember Stan mentioned to the reporters before the game with the Knicks that Davis is a better defender than Lin.

There was an interview where people asked him about Morey and he mentioned something like he doesn’t hold a grudge.

etane
    etane

I  guess we have to wait for David Stern to retire.  By that time perhaps Jeremy’s contract with Houston would already be over.  So, I can only hope for Jeremy and Dwight do a lot of damage these following two years or Jeremy does well this year and gets traded to a team with a real coach who doesn’t put Lin in position to fail.

My feeling is that Morey fired JVG because Morey wanted to fashion his own strategies and that’s why he hired McHale because he doesn’t have strategies of his own and will rely on Morey’s people for guidance.  I don’t think a real head coach would want to coach at Houston under those conditions unless they were hurting for a paycheck.

When Rick Adelman left Houston, Morey said both he and Rick mutually agreed to part ways.  According to this article, there doesn’t seem to be any animosity.  But, the players seem quite upset by the move.  It seems as though Rick wasn’t happy about Morey’s wheeling and dealing ways and overall interference.

alcsd
    alcsd

Honestly if and when Stan* comes over to the Rockets, Lin will be gone by then.  I was playing connecting the dots.  This is why I stress about the importance of understanding the CBA so when you read articles or watch interview clips, you will be able to connect the dots.  Okay, this has nothing to do with the CBA, but still having a general knowledge will help you to connect the dots.

If Morey gets a good deal then I think Lin is gone unless Howard intervenes and wants Lin to stay.  If Morey can get a first rounder** for Lin and take back a decent player with friendly trade contract or expiring, then Lin is gone.  Morey doesn’t trade Lin and Asik just for the heck of moving them.  Because he wants the right piece(s) and/or picks for his next move and that is to give an all star PF. Meaning if he really wants Love or Aldridge, then he will stockpile what the other teams potentially want and lotto pick doesn’t hurt.  Morey will probably be able get an unprotected first rounder for Asik.

I an inline with everything you wrote about firing JVG and Edelman.

Here is the article that JVG talked about Lin being underrated now.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/07/09/rockets-land-dwight-howard-now-what/

Van Gundy fully expects Lin to be a Houston Rocket for the 2013-14 season despite the rumors that began surfacing as soon as Howard made his announcement Friday.

“I thought he (Lin) was overrated when he burst onto the scene in New York the way people were trying to talk about him but I think he’s underrated now.  I thought Lin, coming off a knee injury, got better and better last year.  You look at the numbers.  They were pretty good.  I think he is a pretty good starting NBA point guard. How much he can improve over time remains to be seen, but I expect him to be there. I think he is a good solid starter.”

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by alcsd alcsd.
    etane
    etane

Well, George Karl just won a sweet gig as an ESPN analyst, the same job that Stan almost got haha.

I was hoping Karl would go to a team where he can then campaign a trade for Lin. But, I guess that idea is out the window for the short term.

Let’s hope there’s a mutiny half way through the season where the players refuses to play for McHell then McHell can take a hike and he can take his favorite son with him. haha…

alcsd
    alcsd

George looks old for his age.  I’ve heard that teams don’t want him because of his age or the way he looks.  That is age discrimination.

There will be power struggled between the two.  BTW, Howard is not a bad guy.  I think he is misunderstood.

alcsd
    alcsd

If Morey is smart, then he will need at least two play makers in the post season to win it all.  Getting rid of Lin is not the answer.  Getting a coach with a brain and knows how to effectively use his core players strengths is the answer.

GMs are human too with flaws so they do stereotype, but not all of them are racists or stupid not to see Lins value.

Why so many picked it up? Because writing about Lin will get traffics and traffics mean more ad $$

etane
    etane

pbev just had his career game yesterday so lets see whether he can keep it up. i saw him get beat by brooks and lin in scrimmage. think the difference between guarding holiday and lin/brooks is holiday gave bev many opportunities to put his body on him to push him off balance whereas lin/brooks didn’t give bev that opportunity as they kept moving and never stopped at one place like holiday did.

if you remember, pbev’s first couple of games last year were pretty good too. he had a high 3pt% and had good energy. but, his value add didn’t sustain. frankly, the more he plays, the more he is exposed.

and, i don’t think anyone think pbev is seriously a starter. think there are lots of people saying this to indirectly say lin doesn’t deserve to start.

alcsd
    alcsd

A lot of people think that PB can be like Fisher or Chalmers, but what people don’t realize is that Fisher’s BBIQ is very high. Plus he is an excellent flopper. Both Durant and Westbrook respect him and Durant publicly stated that he is the leader. He commands respect, both on and off the court.

I just want Lin out of there asap.  I can’t stand Morey and I hope karma catch up with him eventually.  To me, he has no soul.

GMs do look at the quality of assists.  Inside the paint are worth a lot more, which Lin is good at. GMs do look at this when evaluating PGs.

BTW, I want to add that you need to have two play makers on your team going into the post season.  Or you can have one play maker and at least one who can iso.

If you can ios and if you can score inside the paint, you will have a job in the NBA as long as you are healthy. This combination is very much needed in the post season and teams know this.

etane
    etane

Think PB does have more respect from Houston players than they have for Lin. PB just fits in better with that crowd from the coach down to the players. Hard to explain this but think they like PB’s playing style and attitude more than Lin’s college boy text book style. At least this is what I feel especially after watching the Houston pro-am games:

I made argument that Bev is a knee hunter on defense on another site.

Been calling for Houston to trade Lin since last November. I got interested in seeing Lin staying with Houston since the Howard trade. But, after watching the first preseason game, now I am leaning towards trading Lin again and hope he goes to a team that has a better coach and with coachable players.

alcsd
    alcsd

If Beverley continues this style, then he will get his own dose of his own medicine.  He better be careful..

alcsd
    alcsd

BTW, when Morey signed Howard, I did mention that this could be the downfall of Morey.  Howard is on the decline.  Back surgery is a major concern especially if your game  relies so much on athleticism.  I like Howard and I think he is a good person. I don’t wish any ill will on him.

alcsd
    alcsd

Or maybe the trade is already agreed upon by Morey and another team but they are waiting it until after the Asia trip to announce it.

etane
    etane

Knowing Lin’s luck, opposing players will be going after Lin for something Bev did. Durant went after Lin for Bev injuring Westbrook. Remember that?

If McHale wants to play Harden as combo guard, I see no reason why either Brooks or Bev can’t start with Harden. It’s not like they need a play maker to start with Harden. They just need someone who can hold on to the ball without turning it over and can play some defense. Playing Lin with Harden is simply a waste. Well, more to the point, having McHale coaching these two is the waste. With the right coach, Harden and Lin can be NBA’s best back court.

I hope you’re right about a trade is pending with Lin. My home town team is the Warriors so hope he goes there. People over at jlin.net are talking about Lakers because Kobe is out for awhile. I love for Lin to play with Nash, Gasol and Caman. Not sure about the other guys. Too bad Metta is gone, or he would be the perfect enforcer for Lin.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.