discuss disqus

Home Forums About Site Site Specific discuss disqus

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ube_ gen 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

ube_ gen
    Keymaster

just installed disqus lastnight and am not yet totally sold on it.

1) voting system: it’s a neat feature. a bit pavlonian dog though if you ask me. do we write and express our thoughts so to earn up votes? certainly that isn’t why but think we are somehow shaping our message and tone with the votes in mind. it’s like can we leave the office politics behind and just post to our hearts’ content instead of worrying about whether more up votes will register?

2) posts are shared across forums/platforms. well, if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to worry about right? do i really want other people to track me, follow me around the internet though? personally, i do not have anything to hide but the internet does scare me a bit.

3) at least on the few instances where i’ve tried to post links and youtube clips, i haven’t been able to do so. when i google for directions, the disqus faq page claims it’s easy to do just paste the url. for the links, want to post only the name of the link and not the entire url and disqus doesn’t have a ready to input solution. i have to type in the entire hyperlink text. and, according to disqus, i just need to enter the youtube video’s url to embed. but, when i do this, the url merely turns into a link rather than embed the video. and, when i post the embed code, only the text appears and not the video. arghh!

alcsd
    alcsd

I don’t like the voting system. To me, it’s high school…too much of a popularity contest. People can vote “like without logging in, and delete cookies and vote again and again.  So if someone or people worship another member, then that person will vote numerous times for his friend.

If a post that might not be popular because it’s the hard fact or truth, will it get a lot of negative or “dislike” or “down” arrow?

alcsd
    alcsd

Forgot to add that I think Disqus is a good tool for other reasons, but not in a forum type of format where you have regular members discussing the same topic or topic related issue.  There are tabloid or news sites that use this tool and I think it’s great.

ube_ gen
    Keymaster

well the forum program on wordpress, bbpress, doesn’t run on disqus.  at least i try to find out whether there is a solution for disqus-bbpress compatability and didn’t find a solution with my 5 min google search.

already expressed what i don’t like about disqus but going to keep it up for a lil white longer.  i am getting a good percentage of new site visitors from disqus.

if google->scroogle, then disqus->disgust?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.